Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wed. and Thurs. Double Quickie -- Writing Music

So one of the main problems with writing for a living is that you really do have to write -- I mean even when you don't feel like it. Getting paid to write is kind of like sex. Usually it's great, but when you're not in the mood, you're really not in the mood, and unfortnately, you can't say, "Not tonight, honey" to a deadline -- though I've certainly thought about trying.

The other problem with writing is that it really does take a a lot of focus. This means my office door stays firmly shut while at work and it also means that I'm constantly on the search for what I call "Writing Music" -- this is basically music that is engaging and energetic but not distracting. Now this is a very hard bill to fill, b/c really, any music that has the first 2 qualities usually can't help but have the third.

But I've found a couple of nice solves for my music problem:

Vitamin String Quartet Tribute albums. This is an outfit that puts out classical string versions of pop faves. So great sound without all the distracting words. This takes some I-Tune sample minutes, b/c your favorite songs don't necessarily make for the best classical tracks. You really have to listen to the classical-fied samples in order to know whether you'll like it or not. But try The Coldplay Tribute. Also, even if you're not a fan of The Darkness (and you're a bad person if you aren't), the Vitamin String version of their first album kills.

My other writing life saver is French music. SO good, but not distracting, because I have no idea what they're talking about. Here's a rundown of some of my recent faves that aren't Daft Punk or Justice. If your favorite French song isn't on my list, let me know in the comments. Like I said, I'm always looking for more writing music.

"Quelqu'un M' A Dit" -- Carla Bruni: Makes me feel like I'm walking in a bittersweet French movie...

"La ballade du mois de juin" -- Benjamin Biolay: Makes me feel wistful.

"Mer Du Japon" -- Air: Makes me feel like I'm in a French writing montage.

"Abesses" -- Birdy Nam Nam: Makes me feel my deadline.

"Solta o Frango" and "Geremia" -- Bonde Do Role: They're actually Brazillian, but these songs make me want to join a French dance crew and breakdance for change and then write about it.

"Adventure" -- Le Peuple de L'Herbe: This song makes me jut my head from side to side while writing -- which is fun.

And guys, if you haven't discovered the glorious brilliance that is Yelle yet. Download "A Cause Des Garcons," "Je veux te voir," and "Ce Jeu" like yesterday. Also, check her out below.



BT-dub, know what else is sorta French -- my film for The Quickie. You'll have to come out to the event THIS weekend, March 22nd and March 23rd, to see what I mean by that. Click on the pic for tickets and more info.










No comments: