Thursday, August 21, 2008

So What? I'm Still a Rockstar!

Okay guys, you have GOT to remind me never to skip another weekly music blog. Now I've got so much to tell you about, that I'm having a bit of trouble arranging my thoughts. But here goes...

First of all, embarrassing things that I have downloaded in the past two weeks:

1. "OVERDOSIN" -- Heidi Montag-- and no, it wasn't for work. Every so once awhile I just like something that I absolutely shouldn't for reasons I don't quite understand. Please forgive.

2. "SO WHAT" - Pink. Now this is kind of interesting, b/c I had thought that I was kind of over Pink, as I'm not in my 20's anymore. But then she hit me in both my musical Achilles heels: fucked-up love song mixed with swagger track. Now she's 99 cents richer (less I-Tunes and record company fees) because of me.

3. "FINE LINE" - Little Big Town. Confession: I ADORE Little Big Town. They are a country band I just consistently enjoy. I would probably even go to one of their concerts if given the opportunity. And this is another delightful track. See the typical country video here.


Top 10 Things I've Downloaded Since The Last Time That I Told You About The Top 5 Things That I Recently Downloaded:

ALBUMS:

1. Lykke Li - Youth Novels: Now I know that I've been gushing about Lykke Li for like a couple of months now. You're probably sick of hearing about how awesome, bittersweet, twee, and Swedish she is. In fact, even I expected to be disappointed when her album finally got released Stateside. But guys, I'm so not. If possible, I love her even more -- to the moon and back. This album captures every impossible emotion during my teenage years. And there's even a Black Kids remix of "I'm Good, I'm Gone."

I nearly fainted.

Seriously, download this yesterday. It's FANTASTIC. Key tracks if you must be like that and not get the entire album: "I'm Good, I'm Gone," "Dance, Dance, Dance," "Breaking It Up," and "Everybody But Me."

2. Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line: I almost never buy a complete album from somebody I've never heard of, but I like so many of the samples, when I was trying to decided which two tracks to buy, that it just got the whole cow. And man, was it worth it. Dreamy, romantic, airy, and pretty UKish for a band out of Syracuse, NY. Impressive. Makes me want to sway around my office. And remember when I said that Kate Bush was, surprisely, one of the few artists that other artists cover quite well? Wait until you hear their version of "Suspended in Gaffa." Another Ready for Primetime Track: "Can You Tell (Epoch Remix). See the video for "Dying Is Fine" here.

3. Janelle Monae - Metropolis: The Chase Suite: I like Janelle Monae, b/c she has an awesome Afro, which she often puts into awesome and unusual hairstyles. I also like Janelle Monae, b/c she is a black girl from the Midwest and she actually made a concept album about a robot that's forced to flee from her robot society when she falls in love. The only track that I don't like on this album (which is super-cheap if you download it on I-Tunes), was the "Smile" cover. If I never hear that overused song again, I could die happy. I'm talking to YOU, Jimmy Durante (even though you're dead).


WRITING MUSIC:

4. Midnight Juggernauts - "Into the Galaxy" and "Tombstone" - This band makes me feel like I'm writing in outer space -- which is pretty frickin' cool. See the firmly awesome video for "Into The Galaxy" here.



5. Monkey: Journey to the West - OMFG, Damon Albarn, why are you so fricking wicked awesome??? I thought I loved Blur. I thought I loved the Gorillaz. But that was just a grade-school crush, compared to the deep and abiding love I have for Monkey: Journey to the West. It's basically a Electronica Chinese Opera stage adaptation of one of China's oldest and most popular tales. And Damon Albarn was brought in to do the music. Billed as a "circus opera" it premiered in England last summer, and I am so incredibly jealous that it still hasn't made it to the States. What gives? This is maybe the most unfair thing to ever happen on the planet, and my frustration mounts. Anyway, writing to the soundtrack makes you feel ancient and epic at the same time. Key Tracks: "Heavenly Peach Banquet." See the trailer for the most awesome stage work that I haven't seen yet here.


LISTENING MUSIC:

6. Matthew Perryman Jones - "Save You": I bet you 50 bucks that this song will be featured in a Grey's Anatomy episode within the first 3 months of the season. Any takers?

7. The GasLight Anthem - "The '59 Sound": If Bruce Springteen and Johnny Rotten had a female lovechild. This band would propose to her sight unseen. However, the video makes you think less of them. See it here.

8. Accidental Rhythm - "Seventeen": If Justice and Junior Senior had a female love child. This band would yearn for her.

9. Amy Kuney - "Love is Trippy": This single actually seems to feature a Phil Spector "Wall of Sound." Wonderful throwback sound. Current Lyrics. Dynamic voice. Just lovely.

10. Kings of Leon - "Sex on Fire": I somehow both love and hate this song at the same time. It's kind of like when I read Death of a Salesman. Go figure.


Honorable mentions: Shearwater - "Hail, Mary" (thanks for the suggestion Yusef!). I also liked "Century Eyes" and "Whipping Boy."


Man, how long is the blog??? Again flog me if I ever try to skip a week again.


Okay, I was torn about whether to embed a video for "Growing on Me," a great older song from the brilliant-until-they-imploded-in-a-drug-fueled-supernova band that is The Darkness or the cheap(er) Pink Floyd wet dream that is the "Shadows" by today's featured band, Midnight Juggernauts.


Well, I am the wife of a lighting designer. So see "Growing on Me" here. And watch "Shadows" below:


4 comments:

Kyle said...

Yes, but did you download the new Bloc Party yesterday? I listened to it at the gym this morning; track three is AWESOME for cardio.

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Dude, I did not. Where did you get it from? I can't find it on I-Tunes. Alas!

Kyle said...

You've gotta go to their website. www.blocparty.com

Ernessa T. Carter said...

I'm downloading now. Will let you know what I think soonish.